August Minutes

   

The most recent Minutes are below. For last year's and previous year's Minutes please use the link at the foot of the page. Please note that minutes cannot be published until they are approved which takes place at the next month's meeting.The minutes for an Extraordinary meeting will also be posted to this page. Such a meeting could be held prior to an ordinary meeting or after such a meeting.

Go to last year(s)? 

Minutes of the meeting of Westwood Parish Council held at the Parish Room, Farleigh Lane, Westwood at 7.30pm on Monday 6 August 2018

 Present

 Cllr. J Bishop               (Chairman)

Cllr. D Adcock

Cllr. J Adcock

Cllr. M Cartwright-Hignett

Cllr. J Johnston

Cllr. T Leeder

Cllr. P Phillips

Mr. R Coleman           Clerk

 PCSO MacLachlan attended (Part-time) on behalf of the Community Policing Team.

 There was one member of the public present initially.

 1.         Welcome and Introductions.

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.  

 2.         Apologies.

Apologies for non-attendance were received from Cllr. G Mumford.

 3.         Declaration of Interests.

There were no interests declared.

 4.         Minutes of the Extraordinary Parish Council Meeting held on 12 July 2018.

The Council resolved that the minutes of this meeting were a true and accurate record. The Chairman signed the minutes.

 5.         Wiltshire Council Report.

In the absence of Cllr. Kidney no report was given.

 6.         Adjournment.

The Chairman adjourned the meeting for members of the public to raise any points of interest. The Chairman then reconvened the meeting.

 7.         Community Policing Team (CPT).

a.         PCSO stated that he had sent the full written report to the Clerk earlier that day. The Clerk commented that he had sent this report to all councillors before the meeting. PCSO MacLachlan highlighted the following points for the benefit of the Council:

 Crime figures for the Bradford on Avon Community Area were higher than normal and he gave examples of the reported crimes involved. He identified Anti-Social Behaviour and adult street drinkers (including youngsters congregating and being abusive) as examples of behaviours currently being targeted by the police.

He commented that Inspector Andy Fee chairs a weekly internal “tasking meeting” where emerging community issues and concerns are raised and discussed for the whole West Wiltshire CPT area. From this meeting, priorities and actions are set and a tasking document produced. This involves developing strategies and the targeting of resources (including partner agencies) into tackling the issue or concern.

 PCSO MacLachlan added that every two weeks, four Community Speedwatch Schemes across West Wiltshire are selected by Leanne Homewood for CPT support (additional targeting, enforcement and patrols) to supplement the CSW team planned sessions. The Clerk commented that it was regretted that this additional targeting was not in association with the local Community Speedwatch Teams who would be best placed to advise on ‘speeding priorities’ within their village.

PCSO MacLachlan stated that the Westwood Social Club was burgled recently and that extensive vandalism had accompanied that burglary.

He commented that some opportunist crimes e.g. car theft can often be avoided by ensuring that the house is secure with doors kept locked although the recent hot weather has exacerbated this problem with doors and windows often left open, or insecure, to permit a cooling airflow.

 b.         Cllr. Johnston queried whether the reported figure of an increase of forty-six percent over the year for rural crime was accurate. PCSO MacLachlan replied that the increase in rural crime was a serious issue, although West Wiltshire appears to be less affected than other parts of the county.

Cllr. Johnston commented that the regular and persistent parking of a vehicle at the bottom of The Pastures presented a road safety hazard and asked whether the Community Policing Team could take action. PCSO MacLachlan replied that a change in legislation meant that such incidents were now not within his remit and suggested that the Parish Council writes to the individual or individuals concerned. .

 8.         Community Speed Watch (CSW)/Westwood Road Safety

Cllr. Phillips stated that the CSW Team Leader Brian Oliver had recently sent him a report and he read out the contents of this report to the Council a copy of the report is appended to these minutes.

The suggestion that Westwood Parish Council should acquire a Speed Indicator Device (SID) was discussed at length and the Clerk explained the process and likely cost of acquiring one for deployment on the Westwood roads based on his experience and knowledge of the SID regularly deployed by Wingfield Parish Council where he is also the Clerk. He estimated the cost to be around £3000 and commented that it would be necessary for an individual to be responsible for its deployment, including undertaking the training required. Cllr. D Adcock stated that he may be interested in undertaking that role and the Clerk stated that he would put Cllr. Adcock in touch with the responsible individual at Wingfield so that he could understand better what would be required of him. Meanwhile, the Chairman suggested that the Community Speedwatch Team investigated possible types of SID and potential suppliers.

 9.         Working Groups Working Group Reports.

Cemetery. 

The Clerk confirmed that James Long (Masons) would be undertaking a stability inspection of the gravestones in the cemetery on Wednesday 8 August 2018 and would be issuing a report soon thereafter.

 Planning.

a.         The Council noted the status of extant planning applications thus.

 

17/08216/FUL

 

Land North of 146 Upper Westwood

Provision of two self-contained camping pods with parking, change of use of land to leisure / tourism. (Resubmission of 17/02852/FUL).

Pending

Planning

Committee

 

 

17/11739/FUL

Amended Plans

 

120 Upper Westwood

Replacement Dwelling

 

Approved

18/02852/CLE

Field Gate fronting Upper Westwood BA15 2DE

Re-opening of existing field gate

Approved

18/02930/FUL

46 Lower Westwood

Construction of new animal shelter

Approved

18/03353/FUL

19 Tynings Way, Westwood

New two storey side extension

Approved

18/04581/VAR

Dorothy House Foundation Ltd, Winsley, Winsley, BA15 2LE

Variation to condition 2 (minor

change) of planning application

16/09259/FUL.

 

Pending

18/05768/FUL

 

61 Bobbin Lane

Conservatory to rear elevation

Pending

18/06065/FUL

 

145 Upper Westwood

Proposed double garage

Pending

b.         There were no planning applications received after 30 July 2018.

c.         The Chairman gave a brief resume of the recent Planning Committee discussion and decision in relation to Planning application 17/11739/FUL (120 Upper Westwood) and the Council noted that during the Adjournment a member of the public had commented that Michelle Donelan MP intended requesting the Housing Minister to examine this application and the decision made by Wiltshire Council.

Cllr. Bishop cautioned that it is possible that Planning application 17/08216/FUL (Land North of 146 Upper Westwood) may be determined by the Planning Committee that is to be held on 22 August 2018.

 Finance.

a.         The Clerk reported the current financial position at 6 August 2018 thus:

 

Bank Statement

 £       25,822.83


31-May-18






Credits (1  May 2018 to 31 May 2018):

Dignity Funerals (Selmes)



 £                          285.00

Westwood FC



 £                             18.00

HMRC PAYE Month 1


 £                             98.40



Total:

 £                          401.40





Debits (1 May 2018 to 31 May 2018):

Clerk's Salary (April) - Standing Order


 £                          494.65

Clerk's Expenses (April)


 £                               9.15

HMRC PAYE Month 1


 £                             98.40

Zurich Insurance



 £                          834.13

AED Locator Ltd



 £                             58.80

D Downes


 £                          532.00



Total:

 £                       2,027.13





Balance at 31 May 2018



 £                     24,197.10





Credits (1 June 2018 to 30 June 2018):

HMRC PAYE Month 2


 £                             99.00



Total:

 £                             99.00





Debits (1 June 2018 to 30 June 2018):

Clerk's Salary (May) - Standing Order


 £                          494.65

J Taylor (Audit Fee)


 £                          120.00

Clerk's Back Pay (May)


 £                             32.32

Clerk's Expenses (May)


 £                             13.53

D Downes


 £                          570.00

HMRC PAYE Month 2


 £                             99.00

NBB Furniture


 £                          528.00

Parish Room Hire


 £                             15.00

XYZ Web Ltd


 £                             65.00

The Print Centre


 £                             59.71

D Downes


 £                          250.00



Total:

 £                       2,247.21





Balance at 30 June 2018



 £                     22,048.89





Credits (1  July 2018 to 31 July 2018):

HMRC PAYE Month 3


 £                          111.80



Total:

 £                          111.80





Debits (1 July 2018 to 31 July 2018):

Clerk's Salary (June) - Standing Order


 £                          526.97

Clerk's Expenses (June)


 £                             10.06

HMRC PAYE Month 3


 £                          111.80

The Print Centre



 £                             64.42

D Downes


 £                          555.50



Total:

 £                       1,268.75





Balance at 31 July 2018



 £                     20,891.94





Credits (1  August 2018 to 6 August 2018):

None


 £                                   -  



Total:

 £                                   -  





Debits (1 August 2018 to 6 August 2018):

Clerk's Salary (July) - Standing Order


 £                          526.97

Information Commissioner GDPR Fee)


 £                             40.00



Total:

 £                          566.97





Balance at 6 August 2018



 £                     20,324.97





Lloyds A/C 7573321

Bank Statement


 £                       2,343.35

30-Apr-18







Credits:




09/05/2018 (Approx)



 £                               0.12

09/06/2018 (Approx)



 £                               0.11

09/07/2018 (Approx)



 £                               0.10



 Total:

 £                               0.33

Debits:




None


 £                                   -  



 Total:

 £                                   -  





Balance at 6 August 2018


 £                       2,343.68





National Savings Account (Park Fund)

Balance at 31 December 2017


 £                       6,954.16





Credits:




Interest 1/1/17 to 31/12/17:


 £                             32.77





Debits:




None



 £                                   -  





Balance at 6 August 2018:


 £                       6,986.93





Total Funds at 6 August 2018



 £                     29,655.58





Payments to be authorised 6 August 2018

Clerk's Salary (August)


 £                          526.97

Clerk's Expenses (July) 2018) 



 £                               6.10

HMRC PAYE Month 4


 £                          105.40

D Downes



 £                          575.00

Day Landscapes



 £                          390.00

XYZ Web Ltd



 £                             52.00

James Long (Masons)



 £                          348.00


TOTAL:

 £                       2,003.47

 The Clerk stated that Westwood Parish Council is now registered with, and has paid the fee to, the Information Commissioner.

The Clerk stated that the Telephone Library Group (TLG) that was refurbishing the telephone kiosk at Lower Westwood had spent £212.14 of the £250 allocated to date and that the TLG had sent the Clerk details of this expenditure.   

The Clerk reported that the Charity Football match in aid of Cardiomyopathy UK in memory of Josh Deakin held at Westwood raised £621 putting the money raised by Josh’s family and friends to over £12,000. The sponsors had expressed their thanks to Derek Downes for his help, the Parish Council for the use of the football pitch and to Westwood Social Club for use of their facilities.

The Clerk stated that he had received a letter from the Westwood Flower Show Committee thanking the Parish Council for its financial contribution.

 b.         The Council resolved to make the payments shown under ‘Payments to be authorised’ on the Financial Statement.

 Environmental.

a.         Cllr. Johnston reported that two drains along the Lower Westwood Road were full of soil and needed clearing. She added that she had spoken to the Parish Steward who advised her to contact Wiltshire Council and Wessex Water directly. Cllr. J Adcock stated that she would contact Wiltshire Council.

 b.         The Clerk reported that a parishioner had written to the Parish Council regarding the state of the paved areas at Lister Grove in that there was a surfeit of weeds and brambles in those areas. Cllr. J Adcock stated that she would ask the Parish Steward to investigate the problem with a request that the area is cleared or who is responsible for that area identified if it is not Wiltshire Council. The Clerk was asked to let the parishioner know the action taken.

 The Clerk stated that Wiltshire Council Highways Department had forwarded him a letter from a parishioner pointing out the dangers of traffic and other road users using Jones Hill and suggesting that Jones Hill is made a No Through Road and/or that a Width Restriction is imposed on the whole length of the road. Councillors commented that this proposal had merit and that the narrow nature of the road and lack of passing places were unknown to many of the road users thereby causing many of the problems regularly reported. The Chairman stated that it was not the ‘signed’ route to Westwood and motorists were commonly misled by satellite navigation systems or the possibility of a shortcut when using that route. Councillors commented that part of Jones Hill was in Bradford on Avon, well beyond the Westwood Parish Boundary and that the continuation of Jones Hill through Upper Westwood was already subject to a width restriction. The Clerk was asked to contact Bradford Town Council to seek its support for traffic restrictions to be imposed on Jones Hill and to request that width restriction signs similar to those at Upper Westwood be erected at the Bradford on Avon end near to the canal. Thereafter, if supported, it would be necessary to raise it at the CATG meeting. The Clerk was asked to let the parishioner know the action taken.

 Cllr. Johnston reported that the Bus Shelter needed cleaning.

 Open Spaces.

Cllr. Phillips gave the following report (shown in italics):

a.         The picnic table has been delivered (flat packed) and the concrete base installed in the park in a part that is shaded but not overhung by trees (reduces the bird risk). When I get some muscle power the table and seats will be transported to the park from my garage assembled and bolted in place

The grass has not needed cutting but Mr Downes has removed some of the lower branches from a few
trees behind Chestnut grove and also some of the branches hanging over the roadway.

 b.         The Play Area equipment has been inspected and a non-structural bolt is missing from the rope walk. Otherwise there were no defects noted. The rope on the ropewalk is starting to show its age but
is not frayed.

 Cllr. Phillips stated that the RoSPA Safety Inspection is due in September and that will indicate whether any action is necessary.

 Cllr. Johnston reported that another cherry tree appeared to be dying. She also requested that Mr Downes be requested to clear the stones from beneath the bench seats in the park.

 c.         The Clerk confirmed that he had written to Westwood Primary School and to the Nursery School inviting the pupils at each school to propose suitable equipment for a refurbished Play Area. Cllr. Leeder commented that he had also spoken with the Headteacher, Westwood Primary School regarding this project and he was very keen for the school to participate.

 Footpaths.

a.         Cllr. Johnston reported that the stile at the end of Path 28 needed repairing.

b.         Cllr. Leeder stated that he would take action and ‘epoxy’ the loose metal style at the top of Path 26 when the weather is more amenable.

 10.       Bradford on Avon Area Board/Community Area Transport Group (CATG).

Cllrs. J Bishop and J Adcock confirmed that they had attended the recent Area Board meeting.  Cllr. Bishop confirmed that he had advised the Area Board that Westwood Parish Council may be seeking a grant to assist in the cost of refurbishing the Westwood Park Play Area. Cllr. J Adcock stated that the forthcoming consultation (24 August to November) relating to the Boundary Review was discussed at length and that it would be necessary for the Parish Council to agree a response at the next (or October) Parish Council meeting. The Chairman asked that this is an Agenda item for the next meeting.

11.       Neighbourhood Plan.

Cllr. Leeder thanked councillors for their comments on the proposed questionnaire and added that he intended that it would be distributed throughout the village with the next edition of the Westwood Update.

He queried the benefit of undertaking a Rural Housing Needs Survey (RHNS) to support the Neighbourhood Plan when considering the work that had already been undertaken to inform the Plan. The Clerk stated that a RHNS had been undertaken some time ago by Semington Parish Council in relation to that parish and the results of it had proved invaluable when presenting the Parish Council case at two Planning application Appeal hearings that resulted in those Appeals being subsequently dismissed. The Clerk agreed to put Cllr. Leeder in touch with the relevant councillor at Semington and to give Cllr. Leeder the reference for the RHNS.

 12.       Date of Next Meeting.

Councillors noted the date of the next Parish Council Meeting:

  • Ordinary PC Meetings 10 September 2018. Meetings commencing at 7.30pm.

 13.       Any Other Business.

Exchange of views on matters not requiring a decision.

 Cllr. Cartwright-Hignett stated that she and other residents of Iford did not receive the Westwood Update and enquired how to obtain a copy or copies.

The Chairman reported that the Unicorn Camp was now in Westwood (Farleigh Lane) for its annual visit and on an unrelated matter he reported that the metrocount had recently been jnstalled at the Elms Cross road.

 The meeting concluded at 9.30pm

 

Chairman                                                                                                        10 September 2018

Westwood Parish Council

ACTION LIST Meeting 6 August 2018

 

Action 1 (6/8/18)        Clerk.

To make payments.

 Action 2 (6/8/18)        Clerk.

To give Cllr. D Adcock Wingfield PC SID contact details.

 Action 3 (6/8/18)        Clerk.

To inform parishioner Action taken (Weeds & Brambles Lister Grove).

 Action 4 (6/8/18)        Clerk.

To inform parishioner Action taken (Jones Hill).

 Action 5 (6/8/18)        Cllr. J Adcock.

To contact Wiltshire Council - Drains.

 Action 5 (6/8/18)        Cllr. J Adcock.

To contact Parish Steward Lister Grove.

 Action 6 (6/8/18)        Clerk.

To contact BoA Town Council Jones Hill.

Action 7 (6/8/18)        Clerk.

To inform Cllr. Leeder RHNS Contact at Semington PC.

 Community Speed Watch 31 July 2018 Update.

  Since the last PC Meeting:   We have welcomed a new member to the Team and are awaiting the training of further perspective member.·        Westwood's Team has been out over a 2 week period. It is disappointing that the average percentage of speeders  was 11.6% being up on the historical average 9.7%. This is probably due to introducing a week-end session which threw up a significant percentage increase in speeders of 18.4% (almost I in 5 of the 172 entering the village over the hour the count). The other days that session showing  just a slight increase to 10.2%).   Due to Westwood being one of the worst areas for percentage of speeders, a formal Police Speed check was completed. This occurred on Tuesday 26th June at 10 am for an hour on Lower Westwood on the opposite side of the road to the New Inn.

No formal notices were served. This may be due to the high visibility Police car parked on the comer such that it was extremely visible from quite a way off thereby deterring speeders and/or the time of day which was a time we do not often count.

 Given recent information from Speed watch Headquarters that Westwood is consistently one of the worst areas for percentage of speeding:

·         Are we able to [hire] a device that flashes peoples speed at them? I understand that Wingfield sometimes has one and that are portable and temporary. Locating it on Lower Westwood on the opposite side of the road to the New Inn may be effective. What are the PC's views  on the practicality and possible funding of this.

·         Is there a case for some permanent traffic electronic speed warning sign as you enter and exit the village? What are the PC's views on the practicality and possible funding of this.

 Brian Oliver

Westwood CSW Team Leader


<< Previous 1 2 3 4 Past year & earlier meetings>>

Content Management Powered by CuteNews